Car Accident Statistics
According to figures compiled by the Texas Department of Transportation (TXDOT), Houston led the state in the number of crashes in 2011, with 38,538. To put that number in perspective, a collision takes place in Houston every 15 minutes, on average. The next two closest cities, San Antonio and Dallas, trailed far behind Houston, with 28,212 and 23,193 crashes, respectively.
Of the 38,538 collisions in Houston during 2011, 177 were fatal crashes that resulted in the deaths of 183 people. Another 4,252 crashes were reported as serious collisions that caused serious injuries to 5,885 victims. Finally, there were 9,281 injury accidents in Houston that resulted in non-serious injuries to 15,362 people.
Harris County saw 66,428 car accidents during 2011, according to TXDOT figures, including 344 fatal crashes that took the lives of 360 people. There were 7,477 serious injury crashes in Harris County that year, resulting in 10,246 serious injuries. Harris County had 14,196 other injury accidents that caused non-serious injuries to 22,951 people.
Harris County had more car accidents (66,428) and more fatalities (360) than any other county in the state. Dallas County, which had the second greatest number of car crashes (35,273), saw only 53 percent as many crashes as Harris County. Dallas County also had the second highest traffic accident death toll (170), which was just 47 percent of Harris County’s fatality tally.
Other Texas counties with large numbers of traffic accidents were Bexar County (32,524), Tarrant County (23,433) and Travis County (14,113).
Texas Crash Statistics
Texas typically ranks at the top of the national list for pedestrian, bicycle, motorcycle and car accidents. According to the Texas Department of Transportation, 211,006 people were injured in a motor vehicle crash in Texas during 2011.
Other crash statistics for Texas include:
- 3,015 people were killed in a Texas motor vehicle collision in 2011.
- Someone was killed, on average, every two hours across Texas during 2011.
- 79,573 people were seriously injured in a Texas motor vehicle accident in 2011.
- In 2011, someone was injured in Texas every two-and-a-half minutes.
- Not a single day passed in 2011 without a fatal motor vehicle collision in Texas.
- April was the deadliest month. with 287 fatalities. September 18 was the deadliest day during 2011, with 25 people killed.
- A driver was under the influence of alcohol in 35.4 percent of all fatal crashes in 2011.
- 479 motorcyclists were killed across Texas in 2011.
- Pedestrian deaths increased by 17 percent in 2011, with a total of 417 people killed in a pedestrian traffic crash.
- 46 bicyclists were fatally injured in a traffic crash in 2011, marking a seven percent increase from the previous year.
Contact Houston Car Accident Attorney Kevin Krist Today
Kevin Krist has recovered millions of dollars in compensation for accident victims and families in Texas. Talk with him about your case to find out how he can help you and your family.
If you or a loved one has suffered a catastrophic car accident in Texas, contact Kevin Krist today for a free consultation about your case.
Call the Law Office of Kevin Krist at 281-677-3963, or use the firm’s online form. Let Kevin Krist explain how he can put his personal, proven experience to work for you, so you can get the compensation you deserve as a Texas car crash victim. Kevin Krist represents personal injury victims on a contingency fee basis, which means you pay no fees unless he recovers compensation on your claim.